This is a traditional Sri Lankan curry dish which can go very well with rice, pasta, or even mixed in some salads. It is also not very hot for the spice sensible taste.
– 500 gr. of cowpea
– coconut oil
– mustard seeds
– 2 chopped green chili
– 3 or 4 red onions
– curry leaves
– pandan leaf
– 1/2 tea spoon of turmeric
– 2 tea spoons of toasted curry powder
– 10 pieces of garlic shopped in large slices
– 1 cup of coconut milk powder dissolved into 4 cups of water
– small cinnamon stick
– Put the cowpea in a basin with water until it gets swollen. It will take a few hours to be ready.
– Wash the cowpea and boil in water for 20 minutes.
– Heat up some coconut oil in a saucepan and add some mustard seeds, cloves, the green chilies, half of the red onions, the curry leaves and the panda leaves.
– Fry the cowpea in this saucepan for a few minutes always mixing well.
– Add the turmeric, toasted curry powder, garlic and the rest of the onions, salt, coconut milk and the cinnamon stick.
– Leave it cooking until ready ( around 30 minutes).