This is a traditional Sri Lankan curry dish which can go very well with rice, pasta, or even mixed in some salads. It is also not very hot for the spice sensible taste.
- 500 gr. of cowpea
- coconut oil
- mustard seeds
- 2 chopped green chili
- 3 or 4 red onions
- curry leaves
- pandan leaf
- 1/2 tea spoon of turmeric
- 2 tea spoons of toasted curry powder
- 10 pieces of garlic shopped in large slices
- 1 cup of coconut milk powder dissolved into 4 cups of water
- small cinnamon stick
- Put the cowpea in a basin with water until it gets swollen. It will take a few hours to be ready.
- Wash the cowpea and boil in water for 20 minutes.
- Heat up some coconut oil in a saucepan and add some mustard seeds, cloves, the green chilies, half of the red onions, the curry leaves and the panda leaves.
- Fry the cowpea in this saucepan for a few minutes always mixing well.
- Add the turmeric, toasted curry powder, garlic and the rest of the onions, salt, coconut milk and the cinnamon stick.
- Leave it cooking until ready ( around 30 minutes).